On July 4, 1952, Roane County brothers W. Clyde Sinnett, Jr. and Robert L. Sinnett opened the Sinnett Funeral Home and began providing both funeral and ambulance service to the residents of Roane and Calhoun Counties. The funeral home was located in the vacated V.F.W. building (formerly the Philip Adams residence) at 406 Market Street, Spencer, WV. It was the first funeral home in the area to own a four-wheel drive ambulance and was also the first to provide an “oxygen-equipped” ambulance in Roane County.
In October 1967, the McMillan home, which was located at 404 Market Street, was purchased from M. R. Carper to make room for the addition of a 250-seat chapel and garage to the existing building at 406 Market Street. The year 1985 brought the purchase of the former Hays Arnott residence at 409 Market Street to create off-street parking. A lighted ramp was added to the front of the building in 1987.
John H. Taylor and his wife, Connie J. Taylor, purchased the funeral home in October 1989. As a high school student, John first developed an interest in the funeral profession when he worked part-time at the Sinnett Funeral Home. He grew up in the nearby community of Newton, WV, and is a 1973 graduate of Spencer High School. Connie is a native of Tunnelton, WV, having graduated from Tunnelton High School in 1973, and is a registered nurse. They both actively work in the funeral home and participate in many business and community organizations. They are the parents of two sons, Matthew and Jason.
Today, the Taylor Funeral Home provides the caring, dignified, affordable, and personalized service that the Sinnett brothers first envisioned in 1952.